Goose the Blog 2.0

"Oh, ha! Sarcasm: The last refuge of sons of bitches!"

second thoughts

by John at 6/03/2004 04:57:00 PM

It's still early in the Great Comment Experiment, but I'm having doubts about Blogger comments. Sure you can delete your own posts, and sure you can post as much as you want (no more lousy 1000 char limit to get in Jeff's or my way). But Haloscan doesn't require log ins, pops up comments in a new window instead of the "permanent link" page, and has auto-smileys. Pro and cons, pros and cons.

I'm thinking of going back to Haloscan. If I upgrade my account ($10!) I can get a 3000 char post limit, no "archiving" of posts older than 4 months, and the comment count should look correct, even for the oldest posts on the blog. Plus, I can export comments to my HD (and probably send them to you for your permanent archive, Steve).

Any thoughts, or is my concern over this equaled only by everyone else's apathy?
« Home | Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »

Anonymous Anonymous said at 9:47 PM

I'm posting anonymously because I can't remember my userid and password. This makes me miss Haloscan.

I also liked how Haloscan popped up in a new window.

$10 doesn't seem like that much. Unless its $10 every year. Or every month. This might cut into your lego budget.

-Wendy    



Blogger Bill said at 11:48 AM

Not really apathy John...actually I find them both easy to use, it is nice having the delete ability, but I'm not sure if it is worth more money om your part, I would just go with what is cheapest. Also, is all this simply referring back to your previous "maximizer" post.    



Blogger John said at 1:05 PM

Wow. I had't thought of that, but I think you are right about me Maximizing this.

On the other hand, you might not have noticed, but Blogger comments is too dumb to use "1 comment" instead of "1 comments". Are we expected to put up with this? It's ridiculous. Haloscan always got this right. Good ol' Haloscan.    



» Post a Comment