Goose the Blog 2.0

"Oh, ha! Sarcasm: The last refuge of sons of bitches!"

me first

by John at 3/31/2005 08:10:00 PM

This photograph was taken at the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico. You can't get that crappy grainy look with just any camera - this was taken with one of those cheapo disposable cameras, but one with a little slider thing that lets you take a single panoramic photo instead of two regular sized photos. Then I scanned it on my cheapo UMAX scanner, and you see the result.

I still like this shot. The big dish of the radio telescope is built inside a limestone sinkhole, so it doesn't move. Instead, they move the position of the refocusing antennas and instruments at the focus of the dish to listen to different parts of the sky. The whole instrument apparatus is held up by three giant pylons (you can see one on the right side). There is also a hanging bridge that crosses out to the instruments.

A few years ago I was running SETI@home on my computers at home and at work. I found no signs of extraterrestrial intelligence. This is only interesting because the radio wave data that SETI@home analyses comes from the Arecibo radio telescope.
« Home | Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »

» Post a Comment