Goose the Blog 2.0

"Oh, ha! Sarcasm: The last refuge of sons of bitches!"

A Few of My Favorite Things

by Wendy at 3/10/2005 09:48:00 AM

I have some fond movie memories from my childhood. It was always such an event in our household when our favorite movies would make their annual showings on broadcast TV. The Sound of Music (I loved the part when the nuns stole the part out of the Nazis' car), Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (even though the Oompa Loompas gave me nightmares), and the Wizard of Oz (boy was I disappointed to find out that Judy Garland had died so there could never be a sequel).

My best memories, however, are reserved for the nights when KTLA Channel 5 would show Japanese monster movies! I loved the one with the giant twin furry monsters (one apparently a good twin, the other the evil twin) and anything with the sparking, flying turtle. My mom would even let us eat dinner at the coffee table in front of the TV so we wouldn't miss a single minute of movie monster mayhem.

Those were the days! I wonder what it will be like for our children. With the advent of VHS, DVDs, streaming video, and TiVo, they'll be able to watch their favorite movies whenever they feel like it. Hopefully the 'classics' won't become less so because they're no longer a rare annual event.
« Home | Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »

Blogger John said at 2:50 PM

Gamera! (You'll want to check out "kaiju stats" at the top of the page.) I always hated Gyaos - his laser beam was bad news.

Bill and I used to watch monster movies on "Monster Mash" - most of the time the movies sucked, but a Japanese giant monster movie was always exciting.

I definitely think that the "classics" will be less special, just because for most people they will no longer be an unusual event. (I still remember the evening I was torn between watching Dumbo (Last Time On Broadcast TV! Ever!) and some stupid episode of Battlestar Galactica. With no VCR, it was one or the other, and no second chances. I chose poorly.)    



» Post a Comment