Goose the Blog 2.0

"Oh, ha! Sarcasm: The last refuge of sons of bitches!"

nothing comes between me and my nano-pants

by John at 3/15/2004 01:41:00 PM

Except for my underwear, that is.

Today I'm wearing a pair of high tech slacks I bought on sale this weekend - they are SLATES® Custom Fit Microfiber pants with Stain Defender™ and NANO-PEL™. Both technologies (it may actually only be one technology) are related to the nano-scale (or maybe just sub micron-scale, but nano sounds cooler) surface features of the fabric. I don't think that the technology is really related to DuPont's traditional Teflon® technology, which is polytetrafluoroethylene, the brownish-gray stuff that covers some non-stick cookware. Instead, this fabric protecting technology is associated with the Teflon® brand because some marketing geniuses decided that all DuPont products that had to do with non-stickiness should get the Teflon® label. This confuses the heck out of me, but apparently it is nonetheless a good idea.

Whatever. What you really want to know is do they work? To that question I can answer an emphatic yes! They do indeed work. After lunch, I deliberately poured the last sip of my Diet Coke on my pants leg. The soda actually bounced off, repelled by the nanoscopic stain fighters that were valiantly defending my pants. The few drops that remained on my pant leg beaded up like rain on a newly waxed car, and were easily removed by gently dabbing at them with a napkin. No evidence of the spill remained (except on the floor, where the Diet Coke that couldn't stay on my pants soaked into the carpet).

Very cool. I tell you, if they can make these pants with reinforcing Kevlar® fibers, I may never need to buy another pair of pants again.
« Home | Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »