Goose the Blog 2.0

"Oh, ha! Sarcasm: The last refuge of sons of bitches!"

presidential preference

by John at 2/12/2008 02:09:00 PM

Over at Edge, they have an interview with Mahzarin Banaji, psychologist at Harvard, and Anthony Greenwald, professor of psychology at Univ. of Washington. These two have done work with the implicit association test to expose hidden, unacknowledged biases against race (among other things, I suppose). These tests can be pretty eye-opening.

In today's Edge article they introduce a test to uncover one's implicit negative feelings toward presidential candidates. Just for the record, I found out that I feel least negatively about Obama, followed closely by Clinton, then a long way off is Huckabee, followed another long way off by McCain. I was surprised to see that I feel so much more negatively about McCain than Huckabee! (But maybe not - I almost wrote "'Maverick' McCain" in smart-ass quotes, which probably represents my barely suppressed disdain for him.) So, conservatives and I have something in common after all - we all hate John McCain!

In other interesting psychology results, maybe Wendy can point us to the article she was reading that said that Asian girls do worse on math tests if the first question they are asked is their sex, and better if the first question they are asked is their race...

Labels: ,

« Home | Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »