Goose the Blog 2.0

"Oh, ha! Sarcasm: The last refuge of sons of bitches!"

Buckaroo Zissou

by John at 12/23/2007 07:23:00 AM



I just finished watching The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (which I think was very underrated - I liked it even more this time than the first time I saw it).

Something occurred to me while I watched it. It has a lot in common with The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (in no particular order):

1) About a team of misfits
2) Son helps father complete his life's work
3) Raid on enemy headquarters to recover a friend (not a team member) held hostage
4) Death of loved one(s) is avenged
5) Team walk at end to snappy music
6) It's ridiculous but played straight
7) Under-appreciated by audiences and critics
8) Jeff Goldblum costars

Okay, those points are common to a lot of films. But the team walk at the end!?! An undeniable homage. Just try to deny it. Go ahead, try. You know in your heart you cannot.

Merry Christmas!



Update: And just how great is Willem Dafoe in Zissou? I'll answer that: Really great.

Labels: ,

« Home | Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »