Goose the Blog 2.0

"Oh, ha! Sarcasm: The last refuge of sons of bitches!"

Resistance to Civil Government

by John at 10/08/2004 10:32:00 PM

or Civil Disobedience, by a famous un-American.

un-American 1: "Why has every man a conscience then? I think that we should be men first, and subjects afterward. It is not desirable to cultivate a respect for the law, so much as for the right. The only obligation which I have a right to assume is to do at any time what I think right."

un-American 2: "I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law."

un-American 3: "The only tired I was, was tired of giving in."

un-American 4: "You don’t wait for a politician and popular opinion to do the right things. I say learn from history and practice what you preach."
« Home | Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »

Blogger Amy, Bill, Guillermo and Alma said at 11:10 AM

On a lighter note, having read this and never (shame-faced) having read Thoreau, I ran out yesterday and bought "Walden and Other Writings". Started reading "Civil Disobedience" aloud to Bill on the way home! Thanks for starting a new reading event for me John!    



» Post a Comment