Goose the Blog 2.0

"Oh, ha! Sarcasm: The last refuge of sons of bitches!"

versus

by John at 2/22/2006 08:07:00 PM

Something's been bothering me the last week or so. It's a little hard to talk about, but I think I should unburden myself: The latest Weezer album is pretty sucky.

Their latest album is Make Believe, and it starts off with some good old Weezer rock, just like one would expect. The problem is the insipid poor-me, loser lyrics. It's not so bad at first, but by the second half of the album it starts to get on my nerves. By track eight I'm ready for the album to end, and by the start of track 10 (of 12) I just hit next disk, because I really can't take anymore.

Luckily, the next album on my car's CD changer (yes, I do not have a mp3 player - I'm still rollin' like it's 1996) is Funeral by Arcade Fire, and going to that is like flipping a toggle switch from "sucks!" to "rules!" I didn't fully believe the hype, but I was wrong.

Anyway, I decided to test my opinion out using the time-honored technique of a Google fight. I compared the number of hits for the query "$1 $2" where $1 is either "Weezer" or "Arcade Fire" and $2 is either "sucks" or "rules" - the results are graphed below.



It's not as one-sided as I imagined. "Weezer $2" had 1259 total hits with a net score of -93, which means more sucking than ruling. "Arcade Fire $2" had 336 total hits with a net score of +14, which means more ruling than sucking. Arcade Fire wins!
« Home | Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »