Goose the Blog 2.0

"Oh, ha! Sarcasm: The last refuge of sons of bitches!"

finn

by John at 1/04/2005 03:40:00 PM

I'm listening to the newish Finn Brothers album "Everyone is Here". It's pretty good, but it's going to take a few listens before I dig it fully.

That's OK, because that's the way it is with a Neil and Tim Finn collaboration. The older Finn (Tim) seems to be lyrically less sophisticated and yet, musically, favor a bigger sound than his brother. There always seems to be a few hooky songs that get you the first time, but for the rest you have to search for Neil's profound pop simplicity to make it all alright. See? I can sound like a pretentious rock critic if I try.

All this started me thinking about The Split Enz, and what might be the best album B-side in the last two generations (from way back when albums had sides), "Time and Tide", featuring the quartet "Pioneer", "Six Months in a Leaky Boat", "Haul Away", and "Log Cabin Fever." Like the B-side of "Songs from the Big Chair" (second best B-Side?) it is practically a mini concept album. Anyway, if you've never heard it before and you find it in a used record store, check it out.

Meanwhile, I'm going to dig out my old cassette and put it in my car for tomorrow's commute, hiss be damned.

P.S. As for The Shins? I listen to "Oh, Inverted World" and "Chutes Too Narrow" every damn day at work - it is like some kind of very pleasant mental disorder. I feel guilty because I have all these other very good albums that I should listen to, but I keep going back to these guys.
« Home | Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »

» Post a Comment