Goose the Blog 2.0

"Oh, ha! Sarcasm: The last refuge of sons of bitches!"

Memorial Day

by John at 5/29/2006 07:51:00 PM

Wendy reminded me to make a Memorial Day post, but I hadn't forgotten to do it. It was more of a personal choice. First of all, I don't want to set some kind of precedent where I'm expected to say something appropriate on any particular holiday or risk having my patriotism, or worse, humanity, questioned. Second, I've been thinking and worrying about war and the people who fight them for the last three or four years, pretty much everyday, and I think that's enough for me to do. But that's just me being grumpy, I guess.

Anyway, here's what I've been thinking today: Instead of just celebrating our past warriors, we should spend the day thinking about how we are going to reduce the number of warriors (and wars) in the future, and promise ourselves that we will never allow blood to be spilled unnecessarily again. We should recognize that war is the failure of humanity. That would be a real service to all veterans.
« Home | Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »