Goose the Blog 2.0

"Oh, ha! Sarcasm: The last refuge of sons of bitches!"

isn't shee-eee

by John at 1/10/2006 07:36:00 AM

This morning on my way to work I heard "Pretty in Pink" by the Psychedelic Furs.

It reminded me of a couple of highschool friends. It seems that their musical tastes were largely influenced by the soundtracks to John Hughes movies (e.g. Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful). The IMS (Insufferable Music Snob, and I write that with affection) I knew thought this was hilarious and sad.

Well maybe, but it also made sense. We lived in a place and time when the only radio stations we could hear played Top 40, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, and Oldies. I listened to the Oldies station, because it offended me the least. MTV wasn't much better (Winger! Great White! Whitesnake! What's with all the "W"s?) unless you were a devotee of "120 Minutes" late on Sunday nights.

Where am I going with this? I don't know. Just thought I'd put up a crunchy blog nugget for the habitual clickers.

Summarizing: Hughes "highschool movie" soundtracks in order of decreasing excellence
1) Ferris Bueller's Day Off
2) Pretty in Pink
3) Sixteen Candles
4) Weird Science
5) Some Kind of Wonderful
6) Breakfast Club

Do you dispute it?! Dispute it!

Also, am I forgetting a good radio station? I'm leaving out KTCL because I couldn't get that except up in Boulder, until they put in the repeaters to broadcast it down in Denver, and as I recall that didn't happen until after I left for college.

Update: I fixed the link for the Sixteen Candles soundtrack. Also, after discussing it with Wendy last night, I considered moving Weird Science up in the ranking. But I looked it over today, and I stand by my original assignment.
« Home | Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »
| Previous »